|Why Do This |
- This drives the Mozilla search engine, part of the Open Directory Project.
- Most comprehensive human edited directory on the Web.
- Also powers directories for AOL Search, Netscape Search, Google, Lycos, and hundred of others.
- FREE to submit your site.
- Is seprate from Yahoo and lookSmart.
|Step 1 - Browse |
- Go to http://www.dmoz.org
- First we will browse through the directory because you will need to select your category when you submit your site.
- Click on "Business".
- Click on "Financial Services" (at left panel)
- Now look at the different specialties.
|Step 2 - Get Ideas |
- Look at the companies that are listed in the different categories.
- decide on the best category for your business.
- Look at your competitors in that category. See ideas for how to describe your business.
- Write out your description. Use close to the maximum number of words - about 20.
|Step 3 - List Your Site |
- Go to http://www.dmoz.org.
- Click on "about dmoz" (at top).
- Click on "Submitting a site" (on left panel).
- Click on "instructions" under "How do I add a site..."
- Follow the procedure.
- You will submit your site only one time, even though you might fit in multiple categories.
|Step 4 - Patience |
- It will take about two weeks to show up on the search engines that use the Open Directory Project.
- But do use this directory as a resource for descriptive phrases for your business, and to look at some of your competitors websites for other marketing ideas.